Monday 4 May 2020

Pack Smarter


I have always over-packed even for day trips, there is always that what if factor, is rain due, do I need a change of shoes, will the weather change etc? A big part of this is the unreliability of British weather. After a trip to Cuba my sister was shocked to see that the locals of all ages and sizes went to the beach in their swimsuits and flip-flops carrying a small towel. I remember many trips to the beach in the UK as a child and adult loaded down with bags and equipment, even a small tent.

When I started to travel for longer periods of time, I had to learn not just to pack lighter but to pack smarter. A larger part of successfully packing is the correct bag or case and I have had to try out a few different options to find the correct one. I now have a rucksack which has an option of a shoulder strap, like a bag, or the usual double straps, this opens like a case into two sections and has lots of sections and small mesh bags built in. This also fits into the cabin. I think the thing to remember that even if your case wheels there are going to be times that you are going to have to carry your luggage, many apartments have no lifts and narrow stairs and if you are using public transport often the lifts are out of order. So, make sure that your case or bag is small and light enough to be able to do this. Luggage straps are also vital as these will help to flatten down your case. For a 2-3-month trip I aim to carry 15-20 kilos. Now I know some travellers can reduce their packing to 8 kilos but let’s be realistic that is a big challenge indeed and a big part of the pleasure going on holiday is to be able to dress up from time to time.

For any holiday packing a little bit of advance organisation is going to help. Laying out the clothes you want to take on a spare bed if possible, and then looking to reduce these by half. So, to give you a few pointers here: take clothes that are comfortable and don’t crease badly. Try to put together different outfits, if an item cannot be worn with other items leave it at home. Have a good think about what you are going to be doing if you plan to spend time by the pool or on the beach or visiting churches and museums or hiking and other sports. If you are planning to hike then good trainers or light-weight walking boots (don’t forget the socks) are essential these can be heavy so wear these whilst traveling. Even in hot climates it can cool down at night so a warmer sweater or cardigan is important. Look at items that can be worn in different ways, a cotton sarong, can be a scarf, a beach blanket or dressing gown or used as a pillow during travel. You often can’t visit churches in sleeveless tops or shorts. Think about layers been added or removed. I think that a lightweight dress or skirt that can be dressed up or down are great. Take at least one belt. I would also say if you don’t love it don’t take it, we often rush out and buy new clothes to go away but I know when I am on holiday it’s my favourite old faded denim skirt that I wear the most. In warmer climates your feet can swell in the heat and become sore so comfortable sandals that are practical are a must, the 4-inch sandals that you can’t really walk in but look great, have to go.

On to the actual packing, I haven’t used packing cubes myself but I can see how easy to use they are and you can buy from Amazon. I tend to use some lightweight clear A4 bags I have had for years; I think they were for storing sweaters.  I pack smarter items like dresses in these. If you roll clothes you can fit more in and this reduces creasing. Underwear fits into shoes and helps these from getting mis-shaped. Towels and Beach towels are very heavy so making sure you have these at your accommodation reduces the weight of your luggage. Microfibre towels, dry quickly and pack up small and are affordable to buy if you need to take towels.

I always find toiletries one of the biggest challenges, particularly if you are only taking hand-luggage. Buying some smaller empty bottles and pots and putting your usual products in will save space. I often collect sample creams and shampoos in sachets for travelling. Make sure that toiletries are packed carefully so any leakage does not damage your packing and if you are only taking hand luggage you will have to pack some items in a zip up plastic bag, so do this in advance and get the correct size bag as airlines do vary on size. You don’t have to travel with a full first- aid kit but having a few essentials, plasters, antiseptic cream and paracetamol can be important as you can’t always get these as easily as at home.

If you haven’t tried already Kindle books are perfect for holidays, if like me you enjoy reading. I take a paperback book and often swap this on my travels for a new one. Most hotels offer this service, you don’t need to be staying you can just pop in and have a drink at the bar.

I hope I have given advice that makes packing a bit easier, the more practise you get the this becomes a fine art. My personal challenge is to get to that 8 kilos!







No comments:

Post a Comment