Friday 1 May 2020

Make Your Own Retreat


When I started to plan my travel, I decided I would love to go on a retreat. However, the cost for a weeks retreat was going to be similar to a month’s travel. As my limited budget did not stretch that far, I decided to make my own retreat. You could do this at home, but been close to the sea or countryside and in a warmer climate does tend to encourage a heathier lifestyle.

I was renting a small apartment for a month; which had a well-equipped kitchen and was close to supermarkets and a weekly organic market. There was a small courtyard perfect for yoga, a public swimming pool that I could use, as well as walking routes and countryside nearby. I had downloaded exercises and recipes onto my tablet in preparation. So, it was good to go! I think the main advantage of going on a Retreat is that these are strictly timetabled, so the planning has been done for you. Therefore, making sure that you get a good balance of exercise and relaxation. So, the DIY version needs to be approached in the same way.

Been away from home is a good opportunity to try new things and not get into old habits. (Which may not be too good for your health) I have during my travels talked to people who have attended retreats and meet people who hold retreats, who very kindly told me what was involved. Retreats vary from full on bootcamps, for the very fit, to gentle Yoga and meditation-based retreats. I spoke to a lovely lady who had to spend 5 hours sat on a stone floor mediating during a retreat in Ibiza. After this she felt worse that she did before she arrived. I think that it is important to make sure that you know what you are letting yourself in for before you go on a retreat and choose the best option for your personal needs. Always read the reviews.

I had been working long days sat at a computer and was having problems sleeping because of stress.  So, I felt I needed a relaxing regime that would improve my fitness and help me to lose some weight. 

What I planned for myself was the following: My morning started with some light Yoga or stretching, followed by a breakfast based on fruits with some fibre. (No croissants or sugary cereals) After this some more exercise, perhaps a walk and swim, adding a faster pace towards the end of the walk. On returning to my apartment, to relax, some reading then a lunch with lots of salad and vegetables. After this, I often had a drive out to the beach, were I could swim or walk along the beach. Returning for a light evening meal and then some reading before a long soak in the bath with essential oils and some self-massage with natural products.  (If your budget allows going to have a treatment or massage can be great too) I tried not to spend to much time on my computer. One of my friends who runs retreats says that turning off your modem and phones etc from about 9pm can help improve your sleep patterns. I didn’t have a TV in my apartment but I would suggest that you try not to watch TV, which includes Films and Netflix.   

I find mediating very difficult and have tried going to several classes with mixed results. My monkey brain does not turn off easily so mediation  I find difficult. What I have found worked better for me is a walking mediation or I sit and look out at the sea which does help to calm my mind. Calming the mind does have so many benefits including improving sleep patterns.

One of the most important things to remember is to drink lots of water and to reduce teas and coffee and alcohol. If you were on a very strict detox retreat these would be removed fully, however you can feel very unwell when you do this. I swapped my usual tea with herbal teas and had an occasional coffee when meeting up with friends always drinking water at the same time. I made a home-made sangria with more sparking water and fruit than wine which was enjoyable and a small amount of red wine can have benefits to your health.

After my DIY retreat, I did sleep better than I had for months as well as losing some weight and getting a bit fitter. I didn’t actually miss watching TV or spending hours on a computer. So, I would recommend doing this yourself or even getting a few friends involved if you prefer company.





No comments:

Post a Comment