Monday 19 September 2016

Travelling lighter or not….

I now had my plane, train and ferry tickets, travel insurance (my younger self never used this but my older self thinks this is a travel essential) European medical card and currency organized. Just a quick mention that having a pre-paid money travel card was a safe and easy way to use money overseas, I found the Post Office offer a good service for this as well as currency.

So now I had to tackle my packing. The blog title of Travelling Light is not a reference to luggage but about having a lighter mental state, been more open to change, flexible and worrying less, a state of mind much harder to attain mid-life.

However, in this post it does apply to my suitcase. I have never mastered the art of travelling light; I envy people who can travel with a carry-on 10 kg bag. I have always felt the need to pack for every occasion, just in case? Life is really not possible without a hairdryer, travel iron, a full medical kit and several pairs of shoes. I remind myself these are baby steps and not to be too tough on myself as I need 20 kilos and not 10 kilos or even the 8 kilos travel buffs take, this would have to be a challenge for another time.

After much deliberation and taking away and putting back I packed my case. I was aiming for 19-20 kilos even though I had a 22 kilo allowance. I would have to carry my case on occasion even though it had wheels. I reduced the amount of books I was taking by using kindle books on my tablet, packing a Spanish/English phrase book, guide book and puzzle book only.

I had managed to stay within the limits I had set myself and had purchased a small rucksack (which I have never owned before) from a well-known sports shop for my hand luggage.

I had a photocopy of my passport, all my paperwork in a file and had left a detailed travel plan with my family. I had ticked off every item on my to-do list, so there is nothing left to do. I think I had gone into planning overload, but realize that this is really about any anxieties about the trip rising. The only thing left to do is have a good night’s sleep to be ready for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment